East African Asians, the Wahindi

Monday, May 15, 2006

An East African in New Zealand

The work of Ruth DeSouza, who lives in Waitakere City in New Zealand provides interesting insights into how her past relationship with East Africa has shaped her motivation and dedication to her work in consulting, diversity action and writing. Ruth's book.'Walking upright here' is available from www.lulu.com

When I first arrived in England as a refugee in 1972, owning a television set was a luxury that I could not afford. I was delighted when a relation, who had migrated from Kenya in 1968 (with all his money intact) invited me to watch a television debate between Enoch Powell and Professor George Hines, a distinguished West Indian academic from London University. Powell was arguing, in essence, that success was a product of culture, that of being born into a superior racial grouping. Hines emphasised the role that nurturing and the learning process plays in human development in all cases.

I was reminded of this debate when I was looking at Ruth's website www.wairua.com and the richness of her interest in diversity. I also realised how my own backgound, like Ruth's, was shaped by our exposure to society, life and education in East Africa.

What if Enoch Powell and Idi Amin had been involved in a mentoring relationship? Imagine Idi Amin as Powell's mentee or vice versa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home