East African Asians, the Wahindi

Saturday, October 21, 2006

How I witnessed a bit of crossfire

The People of Uganda matter to us

My friend, also from Uganda, was rather annoyed by my constant reminder that it was the people of Uganda who mattered then as they do now. I had been saying that the antics of a mad man must never be allowed to create a rift between us and the people of Uganda who loved us so much. “Loved us? What are you talking about? Where have you been?” He challenged me. Ah well, its time to explain I think.

I am also reminded of a curt remark made by an Indian who worked with me in Zambia. “Most of the Ugandan Asians,” he remarked,” were sons of coolies”. The Asians, in his view, had no identity and no culture. “On the other hand, my father was a Rai Bahadur” he said. “That was his reward for working hard during the Raj and, not only that, mind you, he was working at the highest level in the administration”. My friend Dara Singh was also there. “Oi shaitan”, he said,” Be careful, don’t celebrate the raj too much. I am warning you”. The man from India was not to be subdued. How could anyone overlook his father’s achievements in India? Dara asked,” Do you know why your father was rewarded by the English?” The Indian said, “I have told you already,” sensing that Dara was brewing something. Dara was quiet for a few seconds and then blurted it out,” Your father was an arse-licker. He had served the angrez with such passion that that they rewarded him with a title”. Dara was not to be challenged. He was big and powerfully built just as his namesake, the Dara Singh who was India’s top wrestler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home